Monday, December 07, 2015

Winter Shelter is Open!

We are pleased to announce that as of December 7th, 
the Janus Youth winter shelter is open
allowing capacity for 70 youth a night.


As I'm sure you're aware, temperatures have been dropping and rain levels have been rising. This means that homeless youth are more at risk for things such as trench-foot, the cold or flu, pneumonia, or even more severe ailments like frostbite or even death in extreme cases.

Unfortunately, even with the increased number of beds, there will still be some nights where our shelter fills up and we will have to turn people away. Even though our shelter operates between the hours of 9 pm and 9 am, there are gaps in programming hours that leave the youth exposed to the elements. 

For this reason we are accepting donations of cold weather gear, such as coats, hats, gloves, scarves, hand warmers, and rain gear. Items can be delivered to the main Janus office, located at 707 NE Couch St. in Portland between 11 am and 5 pm Monday through Friday. Make sure you let them know that the donation is for Yellow Brick Road (YBR). 


Porchlight Crisis Shelter
1635 SW Alder Street, Portland
Dates: Seven nights a week throughout winter season
Hours: 9 pm – 9 am
Serves: Youth ages 15-23

2 comments:

cyndy drew etler said...

From a former street kid, thank you. I spent an important chunk of my life in Portland, fixing my heart up. I know how kind PDX can be to street kids. I'm so glad you're doing what you do.

cyndy drew etler said...

From a former street kid, thank you. I spent an important chunk of my life in Portland, fixing my heart up. I know how kind PDX can be to street kids. I'm so glad you're doing what you do.